T. G. Masaryk Square

Náměstí TGM

News

A metal chess table has recently been placed in the bottom right corner of the square, in the shape of one of the pieces - a knight, created by sculptor Petr Vaněk.  Players can borrow the chess pieces by putting down a refundable deposit in the Town Information Centre, during the times when it is open to the public.

T. G. Masaryk Square is also the start for two mobile applications, which will guide around the most interesting places in the town centre. The first is the geolocation game GEOFUN – a game that the world has never seen before.. The second application is an on-line educational trail created by the students of Dvůr Králové nad Labem Secondary School and the Dvůr Králové nad Labem High School of Information Science and Services, and bears the title "On the Trail of the Manuscript with Záboj"

Old Town Hall

It was built in the year 1572, after the burgher house which used to stand in its place burned down. The original gable used to face Kostelní (now Palackého) Street and, on the side facing the square, it had a tower supported by two pillars. In the year 1790 the Town Hall burned down, and in the year 1833 it acquired it present form, although its façade underwent certain changes.

On the town hall’s façade there’s a clock and a Latin inscription. In addition to the hour and minute hands, the clock had one more hand which divided the day into twenty four parts. The green dial with the numbers 1 to 24 still remains on the building today. The Latin inscription HAEC DOMUS ODIT AMAT PUNIT CONSERVAT HONORAT NEQUITIAM PACEM CRIMINA IVRA PROBOS proclaims: “This house hates wickedness, loves peace, punishes crimes, preserves rights and honours the noble.”.

Today it contains the town’s ceremonial premises, and an exhibition hall.

Town Savings Bank

One of the dominant features of the square is the Art Nouveau Česká Spořitelna [Czech Savings Bank] building from the years 1909-1910. Its right wing was added later, and it only acquired its present form in the year 1930.

Fountain with statue of Záboj

It was created by local sculptors František and Antonín Wagner. The fountain with statue of Záboj was unveiled in the square on the 29th of September 1857, at the 40th anniversary celebrations of the discovery of the Manuscript of Dvůr Králové. In the year 1950 it relocated to the outskirts of the town, and in the year 2005 it was returned to the exact place in the square where it had formerly stood.

It is an allegorical celebration of the mother tongue and Czechdom. Záboj, a character from the Manuscript of Dvůr Králové, is wearing an old Slavic folk costume and is girded with a sword; his right hand rests on a shield a his left hand presses a varyto (an old Czech musical instrument) against his heart. He stands on a rock from which three springs of water gush, symbolizing purity, health and stability. Under the statue, the name Záboj is carved into the rock, and slightly below it are the words: “You speak to them with fatherly words,” which indicates that we should appreciate and cultivate the Czech language.

Marian Pillar

It was built in the years 1750-1754 by Josef Procházka of Chrudim. It’s associated with expressions of gratitude for the rescue of the townspeople from the horrors of the plague. At the top of the pyramid is a statue of the Virgin Mary standing on a sphere, which represents the globe. A snake with an apple in its mouth winds itself around this globe. Above the moulding, in the central part of the sculpture, are the statues of St. Cosmas and St. Damian, St. Lawrence and St. Florian. The pillar is surrounded by six statues - St. Jacob, St. John the Baptist, St. Francis Xavier, St. Norbert, St. Ignatius and St. John of Nepomuk.

T. G. Masaryk Square is found in the map portal here.

náměstí T. G. Masaryka

náměstí T. G. Masaryka

 
náměstí T. G. Masaryka

náměstí T. G. Masaryka

 
náměstí T. G. Masaryka

náměstí T. G. Masaryka

 
náměstí T. G. Masaryka

náměstí T. G. Masaryka

 
 
29.6.2015 11:21:21 | read 12870x | ernest
 

TOWN INFORMATION CENTRE
DVŮR KRÁLOVÉ NAD LABEM
Náměstí T. G. Masaryka 2
544 17 Dvůr Králové nad Labem
Czech Republic
tel.: +420 499 321 742
tel.: +420 730 182 895
info@mudk.cz

Opening times:
Monday–Friday 8:00–17:00
Saturday 8:00–13:00
load