Religious sites in Dvůr Králové nad Labem and its surroundings

Chapel of the Holy Trinity in Žireč, author: Tomáš Kubelka, Čarokraj.cz

Visit churches, chapels, pilgrimage sites, chantries and other quiet places to contemplate. We will introduce you to a number of such sites in Dvůr Kralové nad Labem and its surroundings.

Roman Catholic Parish of St. John the Baptist - Dvůr Králové nad Labem (cultural heritage of the Czech Republic)

GPS: 50.4338508N, 15.8134708E

The church was built at the beginning of 15th century on the site of a Romanesque basilica from 13th century. At the end of 19th century, the interior and the tower were partially restored in Gothic style. In 2007, the interior was repaired and several archaeological elements were found. On the main altar in the church stands a Gothic statue of the Virgin Mary.  According to legend, it protected the city from the burning and invasion of the Swedish troops during the Thirty Years' War. It used to stand on the former bottom bridge, and when a Swedish officer cut it with his sabre, his soldiers were unexpectedly shrouded in thick fog and could not continue with the attack. On 16th September 1817 in the tower dungeon, Pankrác Ignác Borč and Václav Hanka found several parchment papers called The Manuscript of King's Court. 

Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross in Dvůr Králové nad Labem (cultural heritage of the Czech Republic).

GPS: 50.4268286N, 15.8142489E

According to the legend, in the 9th century the Czech prince Bořivoj I got lost. He promised God that if he found a way out of these forests, he would build a church. After a moment, he heard a rooster crow and following its sound, he reached the house of a coalman. A wooden cross stood by the house. Prince Bořivoj fulfiled his promise and had the Church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross built, which was the first church building in the city. Instead of a dilapidated wooden church, the Czech Queen Maria Theresa gave a stone church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross in 1752. In the background of the altar wall painting you can find the town of Dvůr Králové nad Labem in 18th century.

Church of St. Anne in Žireč

GPS: 50.4137942N, 15.8535392E

Originally an Evangelical church, later a Roman Catholic parish church of St.  Anna was rebuilt in the Baroque style of the Jesuit in the years 1668-1703 and consecrated to St. Anne. The Jesuits were given the castle fortress by Adam Zilvár of Pilníkov and rebuilt it into a monastery. In 1825, there was a fire in the village which burned down the church. The current main altar dates from 19th century. An interesting feature of the church is the Baroque wind chimes from Berlin, which were donated to the Jesuits by Count František Antonín Špork. The church is the property of the Regional Charity Červený Kostelec, which, in the former castle and monastery runs the Domov of St. Joseph for patients with multiple sclerosis.

Chapel of the Holy Trinity in Žireč (cultural heritage of the Czech Republic)

GPS: 50.4119381N, 15.8523928E

Chapel with the statue of St. Salvator dates back to 1726. The sculptor of the statue of God Father is Jan Sucharda, the Müller brothers created the statue of Jesus Christ. 

Church of St. James in Bílá Třemešná (cultural heritage of the Czech Republic)

GPS: 50.4461900N, 15.7387478E

Originally a Roman Catholic Parish Church of St. James the Apostle was built in 14th century and destroyed during the Hussite wars. In 17th century, the present Baroque single nave church was built by the Sádovský family of Sloupno. The altar in the church is Rococo style from 18th century.

Church of St. John of Nepomuk in Huntířov (Vítězná village)

GPS: 50.4729294N, 15.8062497E

Church of St. John of Nepomuk was built in the Neo-Gothic style at the turn of 19th and 20th century. In 1982, it was deconsecrated and handed over to the village of Vítězná. The church is used for concerts and exhibitions.

Church of the Visitation - Kocléřov (Vítězná)

GPS: 50.4919386N, 15.7848339E

The Neo-Romanesque church called U Studánky was built at the end of 19th century on the site of a small chapel. In 1848, a blind woman regained her ability to see at this site thanks to the water from a spring. Since then, it has been a pilgrimage site where many patients have recovered.

Church of the Holy Trinity in Kuks (part of the national cultural heritage of the Czech Republic)

GPS: 50.3979936N, 15.8894044E

Monastery with church of the Holy Trinity was built at the beginning of 18th century according to a design by the Italian architect Giovanni Battista (John the Baptist) Alliprandi. The church is a part of the former monastery hospital and has an octagonal ground plan. On the front wall you can find a sculpture of the Annunciation to Our Lady. Underneath the church is the tomb of the Špork family, where the founder of this complex, Count František Antonín Špork, is buried.

Church of St. Joseph in Dubenec

GPS: 50.3711500N, 15.8102947E

Originally a Roman Catholic Parish Church of St. Joseph was built in 14th century and consecrated to St. Wenceslaus. The church was destroyed by the Hussites and rebuilt in the early 17th century. In forty years, it was damaged by Swedish troops and subsequently repaired by the Jesuits, who included parts of the original church in the building. The single-nave church was completed in 18th century and consecrated to St. Joseph. The main altar with the statue of the Holy Family was made by Jiří František Pacák.

Church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary in Chotěborky (cultural heritage of the Czech Republic)

GPS: 50.3598992N, 15.7893014E The originally one-nave parish church of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary was built on the site of an older wooden church which burned down. There are records of the building of the church from the first half of 14th century.  In 15th century the church was robbed by the Hussites, and was rebuilt in 18th century in Baroque style. Above the Gothic portal is the coat of arms of Aleš of Rýzmburk. The main altar dates back to 19th century. A Gothic wooden belfry from 16th century stands by the church. On the village green, there is a Baroque column (an immovable cultural heritage of the Czech Republic) from 18th century with a statue of St.  John of Nepomuk. The column was created by the sculptor Matyáš Bernard Braun or his associate Jiří František Pacák.

Church of the Holy Cross in Choustníkovo Hradiště (cultural heritage of the Czech Republic)

GPS: 50.4242486N, 15.8774258E

The single nave parish church of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross stands on the site of a wooden chapel from the 16th century. In 17th century a small stone church was built. It was demolished in 18th century and the present late Baroque church was built instead. Religious sisters from a former monastery are also buried in the church tomb. Above the southern portal are the coats of arms of the Sporck and Sweerts houses. The main altar is designed as a stone Calvary with a large cross.

Chapel of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary in Třebihošť

GPS: 50.4366492N, 15.7016631E

The church was built at the expense of the village and its citizens in 1822 on the site of the original wooden chapel from 1754. The altar was built in 1869. The nave and ante-room were added to the chapel in 1901.  In18th century, a bell was bought into the chapel, which was confiscated by the Nazis in 1943. In 1971, Rudolf Manoušek cast a new bell in Zbraslav.

Church of St. John of Nepomuk in Třebihošť, Zvičina (cultural heritage of the Czech Republic)

GPS: 50.4548875N, 15.6954417E

The Baroque church was built on the site of the original wooden church, which was consecrated to Jan Hus. The construction was completed in 1711 and almost a century later, the tower was added. In this form, the church is mentioned in the verses of Karel Václav Rais.

 

Non-Catholic Church Buildings

Hus Congregational House of the Czechoslovak Hussite Church - Dvůr Králové nad Labem (cultural heritage of the Czech Republic) 

GPS: 50.4332333N, 15.8163608E

It was built between 1924 and 1925 with the dedicated help of members of the religious community. The largest space of the building is a meeting house with the capacity of more than 300 people, dominated by a chancel with a sacrificial table and a wooden cross in the front, a pulpit and a wooden sculpture of Master Jan Hus by sculptor Pekárek. On the organ loft, which is extended on both sides along the side walls, there is a two-manual organ with more than a thousand pipes from 1946. It was made by Jan Tuček from Kutná Hora. The staircase to the organ loft continues all the way to the tower, where you can find a belfry with one bell (Jeroným Pražský), which remained in place after the confiscation during World War II. The building includes a lecture hall and rectory as well.

Jan Ámos Komenský Congregational House in Bílá Třemešná

GPS: 50.4451389N, 15.7397369E

Parish Congregational House of the Czechoslovak Hussite Church was built in 1930s with the financial help of the municipality and local citizens.

Parish Congregational House of the Evangelical Church of Czech Brethren in Dvůr Králové nad Labem

GPS: 50.4298075N, 15.8116531E

The first written evidence of the Protestants in the town and it surroundings is from the 1893 census when 17 citizens claimed the "evangelical" faith. Gradually, the Congregational House of the Evangelical Church of Czech Brethren was established and the number of its members grew. Therefore, in 1923 a meeting house was built in the city centre on the present Resistance Square next to the grammar school. After 1945, an organ was installed in the meeting house. In 1963, the Congregational House expanded its facilities by a parish with a small hall. Not only are the Congregational House premises used for its own needs, but also for occasional concerts and programs held for the general public.

Královédvorský manuscript

Královédvorský manuscript

 
Virgin Mary statue

Virgin Mary statue

 
Church of st. John the baptist, author: Ladislav Renner

Church of st. John the baptist

 
Church of the Hussite congregation

Church of the Hussite congregation

 
Church of Czechoslowak evangelical church

Church of Czechoslowak evangelical church

 
Žireč castle

Žireč castle

 
Glockenspiel in st. Annakirche, Žireč

Glockenspiel in st. Annakirche, Žireč

 
Hospital Kuks, author: Ladislav Renner

Hospital Kuks

 
Church of the Visitation of the Virgin Mary in Kocléřov

Church of the Visitation of the Virgin Mary in Kocléřov

 
 
18.10.2019 16:07:07 | read 2337x | Bc. Jan Skalický, MSc.
 

TOWN INFORMATION CENTRE
DVŮR KRÁLOVÉ NAD LABEM
Náměstí T. G. Masaryka 2
544 17 Dvůr Králové nad Labem
Czech Republic
tel.: +420 499 321 742
tel.: +420 730 182 895
info@mudk.cz

Opening times:
Monday–Friday 8:00–17:00
Saturday 8:00–13:00
load